The dream that is my life, this adventure, my hope for our future...


Friday, January 22, 2010

New York!


Here I am fresh off the boat ready to start my adventure in NYC! Last night I went to a Jazz show at Joe's Pub starring Lauren Ambrose (redhead from 6 feet under) and her band the Leisure Class. WHAT A SHOW! She sounds like a carefree songstress child of Tori Amos, Ruth Etting and Evelyn Knight merged with some banjo strumming, bass slapping, piano playing, clad in 30's attire musician men and what a result. The band was endlessly entertaining and equally impressive as this was only their third performance together. Ambrose clearly brought her acting chops to the stage and in each song created a character, mood and story. From her light jazzy vibrato to the weighty power in her belt, Ambrose carried us to a faraway place where sipping a Manhattan in the dark corners of a speakeasy, chatting with the likes of Nick and Nora doesn't seem so unlikely. "New York I love you but you're bringing me down" was the last song of the night and what a song to end with. She brought the house down. If this is where my journey begins, I can only say that this trip is going to change my life. This city is inspirational and full of artists and I want to see and feel and live it to the fullest.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jamie! It's Becky, just want to let you know, I'll be following your blog :-) good luck in NY!!

    ReplyDelete